Technology Project Manager
Reporting directly to the Museum’s Chief Information Officer, the Technology Project Manager will manage execution and effective landing of technology projects and digital products, driving efficiency in our launch processes. This individual’s expertise in technology project management uniquely qualifies them to develop best practices and tools, and define project KPIs and tracking methodology for the Whitney’s project portfolio. The project manager will help define vision, strategy, and roadmap for products in the Whitney’s current and future portfolio, leveraging user research, data, and metrics to make product decisions. Their work supports the Whitney’s mission-critical goals, including stabilizing our current digital ecosystem, building stronger relationships with new audiences both onsite and online, and ultimately catalyzing the Whitney’s digital transformation.
- Manage execution and effective implementation of technology projects and digital products, driving efficiency in launch processes.
- Develop best practices and tools for project management and execution
- Work with stakeholders to define scope, requirements, identify and mitigate risks, and manage project schedules and budgets
- Define project KPIs and tracking methodology throughout the project life cycle
- Manage a team of project managers responsible for prioritizing and executing on a portfolio of projects at the Museum.
- Conduct project retrospectives and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements
- Build cross-functional partnerships, and communicate clearly with internal partners across the institution, as well as externally with 3rd party vendors, to drive team alignment and consistency.
- Collaborate with Developers, Designers, Content Strategists, and other relevant stakeholders to deliver exciting digital features and products
- Partner with the Head of Digital Development to drive the digital product strategy and roadmap
- Analyze issues and examine broader strategic implications, both at a departmental and an institutional level.
Ideal Experience & Competencies
- Bachelor degree required, major in related technology field a plus
- 5+ years of project management experience in technology preferred
- Experience in product strategy or product management preferred
- Thorough understanding of project management principles and planning
- Familiarity and expertise with array of project management software and tools
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and proactive mindset
- Logical problem solver and decision maker with strong attention to detail
- Collaborates well with key stakeholders and cross-functional teams
- Analytical, with a data-first mindset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to successfully manage relationships, proven team leadership and meeting facilitation skills
- Risk mitigation; resolve issues and manage organization and vendor expectations
Compensation & Benefits:
- Compensation range of $100,000 - $110,000 per annum
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(B) elections
- Generous PTO benefits
- Commuter benefits - parking and mass transit
- Admission to world-renowned museums across the city and nationally
- Pet insurance and discounted membership for Citibike
The advertised pay rate is not a promise of a particular wage for any specific employee. The specific compensation offered to a candidate may be dependent on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, the candidate’s experience, education, special licensing or qualifications, and other factors.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Research shows that men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Yet, women and other people who are systematically marginalized tend to only apply if they meet every requirement. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you’re new to arts and culture administration, returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or take the next step in your career path, we will be glad to have you on our radar. Please use your cover letter to tell us about your interest in the arts and culture space and what you hope to bring to this role.
About the Whitney:
The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by the artist and philanthropist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, houses the foremost collection of American art from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From her vision arose the Whitney Museum of American Art, which has been championing the most innovative art of the United States for 86 years. The core of the Whitney’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit American art of our time and serve a wide variety of audiences in celebration of the complexity and diversity of art and culture in the United States. Through this mission and a steadfast commitment to artists themselves, the Whitney has long been a powerful force in support of modern and contemporary art and continues to help define what is innovative and influential in American art today.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. The Museum hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment
The health and safety of our Museum community is the highest priority. As such, the Whitney Museum is requiring all newly hired staff members to be fully vaccinated and boosted with an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment. Requests for reasonable accommodations for medical, religious, or other reasons will be considered in accordance with applicable law.