Special Events Assistant
- United States
- Full Time
- Entry Level
A full-time position, the Special Events Assistant will support the Special Events team with both internal exhibition openings and external corporate rentals in both the planning stages and execution. The assistant will provide critical administrative support for the department, manage a small portfolio of events, and assist with key administrative tasks.
- Serve as the first point of contact for the rental inquiries process, manages list and status updates of all inquiries;
- Administrative support for Art Party, Gala and Studio Party the biggest fundraising initiatives in the Museum’s arsenal which support key programs to fulfill its mission.
- Create, compile and distribute exhibition opening list request templates and oversee mailings of and recording guest RSVPs; ensure an accurate record of guest check-in lists;
- Manage invoices, and track and reconcile department expenses;
- Collaborate with other Museum departments to plan and oversee internal small-scale events;
- B.A. and 1-2 years prior experience in an administrative or events-related role.
- Dynamic and fast learning; and detail-oriented; strong attention to detail
- Creative problem-solver; can work both independently and cooperatively in a quick and efficient manner
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a pleasant phone manner
- Superior organizational skills, punctual, and reliable
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Research shows that men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Yet, women and other people who are systematically marginalized tend to only apply if they meet every requirement. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you’re new to arts and culture administration, returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or take the next step in your career path, we will be glad to have you on our radar. Please use your cover letter to tell us about your interest in the arts and culture space and what you hope to bring to this role.
About the Whitney:
The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by the artist and philanthropist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, houses the foremost collection of American art from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From her vision arose the Whitney Museum of American Art, which has been championing the most innovative art of the United States for 86 years. The core of the Whitney’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit American art of our time and serve a wide variety of audiences in celebration of the complexity and diversity of art and culture in the United States. Through this mission and a steadfast commitment to artists themselves, the Whitney has long been a powerful force in support of modern and contemporary art and continues to help define what is innovative and influential in American art today.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. The Museum hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
The health and safety of our Museum community is the highest priority. As such, the Whitney Museum is requiring all newly hired staff members to be fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment. Requests for reasonable accommodations for medical, religious, or other reasons will be considered in accordance with applicable law.